Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Makeup News and Reviews: LORAC Solid Gold Palette and a quick OOTD

Inspiration struck this morning when I opened up my newest bit of joy.

The LORAC Solid Gold Limited Edition Eye Shadow Palette.


I saw this on one of my favorite blogs last week: Nouveau Cheap.

The author, G, mentioned that Ulta was selling these fabulous holiday palettes at Ulta for $12!  

Shut up and take my money.

I calmly proceeded ran like a mad woman to an Ulta the next day and snatched up mine.  There is another 5-pan palette of cool tones and purple shades.  I tend towards warmer shades so I stuck with the Solid Gold palette.

I knew that these palettes were a great deal because LORAC shadows are UH-MAZING.

Let’s just see what damage I’ve done to my LORAC Pro Palette…


Yeah.

It’s love.

I use this bad boy almost everyday.  A whole row of mattes…  a whole row of shimmers… It’s a must have.  

Anyway… back to the Solid Gold.

When I swatched the shadows in store I was a little weary…. The three first colors were nice, very pigmented, soft, and shimmery.  Beautiful.  The last two were more of matte shades and the pigmentation was... lacking.  Sometimes the display palettes at stores have been touched and prodded and who knows what else that a simple swatch just doesn’t show the true beauty.

So I bought it and used it for the first time today and boy am I impressed!!

It is a five-pan palette that is thin like the LORAC pro palette but has the same shape pans as the Urban Decay Naked palettes.


Urban Decay Naked, LORAC Solid Gold, LORAC Pro.



As you can see the Solid Gold seems to have bigger pans than the Naked.  The Solid Gold palette has five shadows each at 0.066 oz where as the Naked palette has 12 shadows at 0.05 oz.  Not to mention that this palette is $12 and the Naked runs $50!

The packaging is a bronze cardboard type package with a magnetic closure.  Its small size makes it perfect for traveling.


Here are the swatches over Urban Decay Primer Potion.  As you can see the last two shades are not crazy pigmented but after using them I am still in love.




The first shade is a nice shimmery champagne highlight.  

The second is probably my favorite in the palette.  It is a great all over the lid color that is a warm-toned light champagne-y gold.  Very hard to describe but beautiful.

The middle shade is a very bright orange- gold.  It is insanely pigmented and a tiny bit on your brush goes a looong way.  

The fourth shade looks like a matte but actually has very finely milled gold glitter in there.  It is a red-brown that blends beautifully.  The glitter does not show up much when applied.

The last shade also looks matter but also has finely milled gold glitter in there.  The glitter doesn’t really show when applied.  It isn’t a true black like MAC’s carbon.  It is warmer than that, an almost black that has a bit of brown.  I prefer it actually to a true black since that can look too harsh.

Here is the look I came up with using just this palette.



I used the second shade all over the inner half of the lid and lightly used the middle shade in the center of the eye.  The dark brown color is blended into the outer crease and I smudged some of the black along the lash line.  I used the lightest color in my tear duct and also under the brow bone.  


I also used a bit of the second shade and the middle shade to smudge on my lower lash line.

Everything blended like a dream and I had little fallout.   The shadows last all day for me but I always use UD primer potion.


It’s not my go-to look but it is certainly holiday appropriate and I could get a entire look with just this palette.


Overall I LOVE this palette.

Can you tell?

If you see this: buy it.  I hope you will love it too!



Other makeup:  Urban Decay Primer Potion, elf blush in Mellow Mauve, Milani EasyBrow in Natural Taupe, CoverGirl Lash Blast Luxe in Black, and MAC lipstick in Syrup. 

And a quick Outfit of the Day:

I wore a light chambray shirt from Cotton On and tucked it into some black skinny pants from H&M.


I wore my everyday single-pearl necklace and a pretty pearl and jewel headband.
I LOVE this hairstyle and it's SO easy.  Maybe I can post a tutorial?
Also I wore my nude flats from Target and simple pearl earrings.


xoxo,
Julia Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment