Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mercury Glass and Glossy Pumpkins

I love decorating for the holidays. 

It doesn’t matter what time of year.  I just love it.

This year I wanted to add a little autumn spice to our place.

I love the idea of holiday or seasonal décor just blending right into the everyday décor of a home.  I don’t like anything to gaudy or cartoony.

I hit up the local dollar store to find some gems and then I spray painted all of it.

I love me some spray paint.

Anyway, I picked up these cute pumpkins, and tons of different shaped glass containers.


I painted all of the pumpkins white using HD Designs Gloss White.

I also painted one of the shorted glasses a glossy white.  

I took the remaining three glass containers and stumbled through making DIY mercury glass.  


It’s a trial and error sort of thing.

Waning: you can ONLY use KRYLON’s Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint. It’s more expensive than any other bottle of spray paint but it is worth it.  All others will turn out silver-ish not mirrored.

Note:  You have to spray this paint on the inside or underside of whatever you want to look mirrored.  It’s designed to make the other side look mirrored. 


So I taped off the outside of the glasses and sprayed one coat of the KRYLON Looking Glass and then immediately used a spray bottle to spray a mixture of half vinegar and half water onto the wet paint.  This makes little bits of the paint bubble up and then you can use a paper towel to sort of rub the bubbled paint off.  




Giddy over mercury glass!
If you try to do this just know that there is no exact science.  You have to play with it.  


So on I continued with lots of coats of spray paint, lots of sprays of my water mixture and LOTS of paper towels.


There's a pink candle in this one!

I am so obsessed with the results.  It’s not perfect but I absolutely love the way they look sitting on our mantle and windowsill.




Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment